Soft Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies filled with Vanilla Buttercream are my favorite way to enjoy gingerbread.The spice from the gingerbread pairs so well with the sweet buttercream,it's such a fabulous combination!Great for the holidays to give as homemade gifts.
Lets just start out by saying these soft gingerbread sandwich cookies were not what I intended to make when I made my gingerbread cookie dough.I had every intention of turning my dough into a gingerbread house and gingerbread men to decorate with Kelsey.
Then I discovered that my gingerbread men cookie cutters were nowhere to be found and the pieces that I had already cut for the sides of the house were too soft and I just didnotfeel like baking them for an extra few minutes.I know,so lazy but whatever.I just couldn't even.
Maybe it was the tough week I had.Kelsey fell and broke her collar bone last Monday and it's just been a long,rough week for the both of us.I thought making a gingerbread house would be a fun activity for her to do (with one hand) but it was just going to be too much work and neither one of us had the patience for anything with a difficulty level other than ‘wicked easy'.
We were also already planning on decorating a gingerbread house with my family anyways so she wasn't really going to be missing out on anything.
Since I had already made the gingerbread dough,and it was fabulous as a soft baked gingerbread cookie,I decided to turn it into these gingerbread sandwich cookies.SO good!It's such a fun and delicious twist on the crunchy gingerbread cookies.Those are ok but soft gingerbread is的way to go.Enjoy!
Be sure to follow me onInstagramand hashtag #whattheforkfoodblog or tag @whattheforkfoodblog – I love seeing what you make!
If you love this gingerbread sandwich cookies with vanilla buttercream recipe,be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
For the Gingerbread Cookies:
- 2 1/2 C all-purpose williamhill官网gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 C molasses
- 1/2 C solid shortening
For the Vanilla Buttercream:
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1 C (2 sticks) butter,softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- In a small pan,combine the molasses and shortening and bring to a boil.Remove from heat and cool 威廉希尔手机版about 15-20 minutes.Do not let it cool to the point that the molasses starts to form a skin.
- In a large bowl,sift together flour,baking soda,salt,ginger and cinnamon.Stir to combine.Stir in the cooled molasses.Mix until completely combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon baking mats.
- Scoop 1 1/2 Tbsp of dough* onto the prepared baking pans,威廉希尔手机版about 8 cookies per pan.Bake for 8 minutes.Cool cookies on the pans for 10 minutes before cooling completely on wire racks.
- While cookies are cooling,prepare buttercream.Beat butter and powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer until smooth,威廉希尔手机版about 3 minutes.Mix in vanilla and heavy cream.Beat for an additional minute.
- Scoop buttercream onto half of the cooled cookies and top with the other half of the cookies.
I used anOXO Medium Scoop to portion the cookie dough and a heaping OXO Small Scoopto portion the buttercream.
USA Pan 1606CR Half Sheet Baking Pan and Bakeable Nonstick Cooling Rack,Metal
Silpat Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat,Half Sheet Size,11-5/8" x 16-1/2"
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs,I earn from qualifying purchases.